Refuweegee welcome packs are a gesture of kindness from the Glasgow community but should also be useful and personal. The items contained need to be small enough to be carried away in a large bag or box. We’ve put together the list below to give you an idea of what items are most useful to donate.
We ran a very successful welcome pack appeal over the festive period when we asked individuals and groups to take control of the pack building and put together the packs with the essentials and then donation. We are continuing to collect donations in this way and you can find all the information you need about how to get involved here.
If you’d prefer to donate individual items or bulk items please check the list below for what we need. Thank you for making a difference with us!
Our golden rule “If you wouldn’t give it someone you do know, please don’t give it to someone you don’t.”
- Toiletries – pack an entire toilet bag or donate a single item; toothpaste, shampoo, soap, baby specific products, shower gel etc.
- Sanitary products, razors, nappies and baby wipes.
- Hats, gloves, scarves – adult and child sizes, small warm winter woolies.
- Stationery – notebooks, writing paper, pens, pencils and crayons.
- Items for children – colouring books, story books, craft items, kids hats & gloves.
- Books – for children and adults, from fiction to dictionaries, to visitor guides.
- Bags – school bags, canvas bags, reusable shopping bags, handbags, holdalls…all very useful and welcomed.
- A wee treat – something to eat…can often be easily linked to the Scottish item below, we do love our grub.
- Glasgow/Scottish items – a wee welcome to the city, from Tunnocks to bru. Get creative!
- Letters fae the locals – see all you need to know here.
Donations we’ll pass on at events rather than in welcome packs
We run two large pop-up events each month, where we pass on items to families and individuals. This means people can come along, have a cuppa and select clothing and items they need rather than have us choose for them. We need the following items for our pop up events;
- Clothing – for ALL ages – but especially 4 years and up. We are never short of baby clothing but are continually on the hunt for older children and teenage clothing. Please ensure all clothing is in good condition and clean before dropping it off to us.
- Homeware/Household items – what helps your house feel like a home? Pictures, mirrors, cushions, photo frames, candles etc.
- Toys & games – We are always in need of good condition, second-hand kids toys & games. Help us recycle and pass on the loved but now discarded toys! Again please KEEP IN MIND THE TEENAGERS and pass on games for all ages not just the wee ones.
items to avoid
- Electrical goods.
- Bulky items like pillows or duvets.
- Perishable food items.
Please continue to check back on this page as it will be regularly updated.
in the City Centre – Social Bite, 103 St Vincent Street, G2 5EA are open 7am-3pm Monday to Friday and will happily accept your donations to Refuweegee. Please ensure that all donations are clearly labeled for us and that staff are also informed who they are for.
And Penny Black Glasgow, 533 Sauchiehall Street, G3 7HP are open Mon-Sun – full times on their facebook page.
And Refuweegee HQ at The Briggait, 141 Bridgegate, G1 5HZ open Mon-Fri 10-5pm.
in the West – We’re delighted to be working with Penny Black Glasgow who have everything you need in one place – post office, coffee shop and the most beautiful stock of gift cards! Pop in to either shop to drop off your donations and letters fae the locals. They are open Mon-Sun (times on their Facebook page) and can be found at 721-723 Great Western Road, Glasgow, G12 8QX and at Charing Cross as above.
in the South – We’re looking for a new donation drop off in the Southside of the city! If you have a wee space that you can set aside for lovely folks to pop in and drop off donations then please get in touch with email@example.com.
in the North – We now have a donation and letter drop off within Rona MacKay’s MSP’s office in Kirkintilloch. The office is open Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm and located at 78 Townhead, Kirkintilloch, G66 1NZ.