Refuweegee welcome packs are a gesture of kindness from the Glasgow community but should also be useful and personal. The items contained need to be small enough to be carried away in a large bag or box. We’ve put together the list below to give you an idea of what items are most useful to donate.
We also ran a very successful welcome pack appeal over the festive period when we asked individuals and groups to take control of the pack building and put together the packs with the essentials and then donation. We are continuing to collect donations in this way and you can find all the information you need about how to get involved here.
If you’d prefer to donate individual items or bulk items please check the list below for what is useful and what should be avoided. Thanks in advance!
- Toiletries – pack an entire toilet bag or donate a single item; toothpaste, shampoo, soap, baby specific products, shower gel etc.
- Sanitary products, razors, nappies and baby wipes.
- Hats, gloves, scarves – adult and child sizes, small warm winter woolies.
- Stationery – notebooks, writing paper, pens, pencils and crayons.
- Items for children – colouring books, story books, craft items, kids hats & gloves.
- Books – for children and adults, from fiction to dictionaries, to visitor guides.
- Bags – school bags, canvas bags, reusable shopping bags, handbags, holdalls…all very useful and welcomed.
- A wee treat – something to eat…can often be easily linked to the Scottish item below, we do love our grub.
- Glasgow/Scottish items – a wee welcome to the city, from Tunnocks to bru. Get creative!
- Letters fae the locals – see all you need to know here.
items to avoid
- Clothing – we are currently very well stocked with clothing so DO NOT require further donations. We will do specific clothing drives as and when required.
- Soft toys i.e. teddies and dolls – we’re at risk of getting lost amongst the soft toys in HQ.
- Electrical goods.
- Bulky items like pillows or duvets.
- Perishable food items.
Please continue to check back on this page as it will be regularly updated.
DONATION DROP OFF LOCATIONS
in the City Centre – Social Bite St Vincent Street & Bothwell Street are supporting Refuweegee and providing not just a donation drop off location but a warm welcome to donors and Refuweegees alike. They’re open Monday – Friday, between 7am and 3pm to drop in your donations and letters. Their city centre store addresses are as follows; 103 St Vincent Street, Glasgow, G2 5EA & also at 5 Bothwell St, Glasgow, G2 6NL.
in the North – We now have a donation and letter drop off within Rona MacKay’s MSP’s office in Kirkintilloch. The office is open (times TBC) and located at 78 Townhead, Kirkintilloch, G66 1NZ.
in the South – We are equally delighted to have the support of Harvest Co-Op in Shawlands who will also collect your donations and letters during their normal opening hours, you can find them at Harvest Co-op, 1143 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow, G41 3YH.
even further South – Asbestos Building Surveys in East Kilbride have also kindly offered some space in their premises at 5 Wilson Pl, East Kilbride G74 4QD. They ask that you get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org prior to dropping donations to them.
in the West – We need a new drop off! – if you have a space and are interested in getting involved please get in touch with email@example.com.